Sunday, December 18, 2011

Special Log


… Life is full of ups and downs, highs and lows, disappointments, and accomplishments. We have been told to make the most of what we have been given. There is a true peace in being content. I feel that we need to be very careful in this contentment, and not let down our guard. Watch for evil, be alert. Be pillars of the faith, always looking for the good in people. In this modern day there are many ways to heat a log home. Natural gas, which relies on a furnace lit by a pilot  light is one way to accomplish this, till the flame goes out. Then you will find yourself in the cold, looking for alternative heat, possibly wood, if your home has a fireplace. The average log used in the construction of log homes is between 12-14 inches wide. Logs are noted for the ability to retain heat longer that conventional construction. Sometimes the master craftsman uses logs that are so special, that only they, will fit right where he wants them. (as I noted in a earlier blog, “Are We There Yet .”) I personally see these special logs, as having character. Logs that have seen some bad weather, have growth lines, are more than 14-16 inches in width, logs that can hold the heat longer when it matters the most.
This past week the pilot flame in my furnace stopped working. How convenient, since the topic at the men’s breakfast was when your spiritual pilot light goes out. Coincidental? I feel there is so much more going on here, more than I can comprehend. It’s a serious thing when cold penetrates a home. The floor gets cold, the rooms get chilly, nights seem longer, and if the heat doesn’t come on, soon there could be permanent damage to the structure. So I wonder what happens when your spiritual pilot light goes out? I have been blessed to have a home with a fireplace. So as I wait by the fire for the repairman to reignite the pilot light, my spirit is thankful because I know that the heat will be on soon. Till then I will enjoy the heat from the fireplace. You’re maybe in the cold of life, or a season that brings pain. Let God’s word light your fire again:
Psalm 34 (The Message)
1 I bless God every chance I get; my lungs expand with his praise. 2 I live and breathe God; if things aren't going well, hear this and be happy: 3 Join me in spreading the news; together let's get the word out. 4 God met me more than halfway, he freed me from my anxious fears. 5 Look at him; give him your warmest smile. Never hide your feelings from him. 6 When I was desperate, I called out, and God got me out of a tight spot. 7 God's angel sets up a circle of protection around us while we pray. 8 Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see - how good God is. Blessed are you who run to him. 9 Worship God if you want the best; worship opens doors to all his goodness. 10 Young lions on the prowl get hungry, but God-seekers are full of God. 11 Come, children, listen closely; I'll give you a lesson in God worship. 12 Who out there has a lust for life? Can't wait each day to come upon beauty? 13 Guard your tongue from profanity, and no more lying through your teeth. 14 Turn your back on sin; do something good. Embrace peace - don't let it get away! 15 God keeps an eye on his friends, his ears pick up every moan and groan. 16 God won't put up with rebels; he'll cull them from the pack. 17 Is anyone crying for help? God is listening, ready to rescue you. 18 If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath. 19 Disciples so often get into trouble; still, God is there every time. 20 He's your bodyguard, shielding every bone; not even a finger gets broken. 21 The wicked commit slow suicide; they waste their lives hating the good. 22 God pays for each slave's freedom; no one who runs to him loses out.
Log-On

No comments:

Post a Comment