Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holding On Tight


…The Ideal place to build a log home would be in a country setting, possibly on a large parcel of land. Years ago, there was this movie called ‘The Wilderness Family’. It was about a young couple whose dream was to build their own log home, live off the land, and raise a family. One day, while sitting in traffic, the young couple looked at each other, smiled and said, “Let’s go and build that cabin.” So they rented a float plane, and got dropped off in a remote valley, ready to build their homestead. I’m not quite there yet. My ideal place to build a log home would be on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. One of my favorite things to do there, is stay at one of the many B&B’s. I love to meet the owners, and hear their life’s stories. I’ve often thought, if I owned a B&B, I would call it, ‘Open Door B&B.’
Your heart is your door, an entranceway of sorts. You could be very receptive to the things of God, or you could be so closed off that you miss even the simple things. It’s as though you have a lock on your door. I’ve come to realize that it’s our choice, how we react to situations. For some people their entrance way is a path full of flowers leading up to a welcome matt. For others it leads up to a moat with a draw bridge, and nothing is going to penetrate my castle, my space, my thinking, my bank account, my my, my. Lord forgive me. As I am sitting in my front room, I’m looking out a window with see through curtains, barely able to make out what’s outside. Wondering, do I need to add curtains to my log house or leave the windows plain? I want to be able to look outside, at all the things His hands have made, and not be afraid of the unknown. Shirley commented the other morning, maybe in a log home we don’t need curtains. Have you ever had that “aha!” moment? This was mine. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to remove the curtains, to be transparent, to be who we are on the outside, is who we are on the inside. I am not saying we need to remove all of the curtains so that the world can walk by and see us exposed, but I think we need to let the world see our Faith. Working on this part of the house has made me realize I still have some work to do in this area, and I am thankful that I know this, and feel it’s a step in the right direction. I am not sure what lesson I will learn next, as I continue, but I’m excited to see where the Lord leads.
Job 8: 9-18 (Message Translation) For we're newcomers at this, with a lot to learn, and not too long to learn it. 10 So why not let the ancients teach you, tell you what's what, instruct you in what they knew from experience? 11 Can mighty pine trees grow tall without soil? Can luscious tomatoes flourish without water? 12 Blossoming flowers look great before they're cut or picked, but without soil or water they wither more quickly than grass. 13 That's what happens to all who forget God - all their hopes come to nothing. 14 They hang their life from one thin thread, they hitch their fate to a spider web. 15 One jiggle and the thread breaks, one jab and the web collapses.

Lord help me to hold on to all that is true, all that is noble, all that is from you. My prayer is that you hold on to His word with both hands. Log-On

1 comment:

  1. i like reading verses in the message. He always puts a new spin on things. good word.

    ReplyDelete