Sunday, July 18, 2010

Can you feel the Heat?


Holy Fire... There’s something about getting back to nature, clearing a piece of land, burning up the tree stumps, branches, and bits of twigs. There’s an excitement that something is going to happen as we watch the fire consume the unwanted pile. Sin in our life is the unwanted pile of memories, a history that runs deep, fear that we are not good enough. Our thoughts, the way we feel about other people, whatever that thing is that holds us back from doing the right thing. We all have things in our lives we not proud of. Things we need to bring to the fire, and watch them burn. Are you hot for God? I used to think that when you do church…things like getting baptized, going forward for an altar call, worshiping with your arms wide open, praying for someone, or having someone pray for you, that this was being obedient to the Holy Spirit, and it is. It’s also a physical act as if we were offering up a Holy Fire. We can add a new fuel to this fire and change the way it burns. We can add fuel of praise, kindness, time spent, helps, compassion. There is a lot we can add to this fire to make it burn clean. Funny thing, the man that helped me from Pearson’s Landclearing, explained to me how a fire burns. There comes a turning point in a fire, when, if you listen you will hear the rush of the oxygen as it is sucked into the middle of the fire. That’s when the fire is burning the hottest and the cleanest.
Psalm 19: 7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8 The commandments of the LORD are right, bringing joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are clear, giving insight to life. 9 Reverence for the LORD is pure, lasting forever. The laws of the LORD are true; each one is fair. 10 They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb. 11 They are a warning to those who hear them; there is great reward for those who obey them. 12 How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. 13 Keep me from deliberate sins! Don't let them control me. Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin. 14 May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.(NLTranslation)

No comments:

Post a Comment