Sunday, July 25, 2010

Foundation


The Starting Point ... A foundation is a platform, a starting point where we get to build our structure on. My starting point came when I answered an altar call when I was 19. I was on a date with my girlfriend and we were attending a mid week church service. I remember sitting next to her weeping uncontrollably, as the speaker invited anyone who wanted to make a choice in their spirit to accept forgiveness. I knew he was talking to me, and the more I resisted the offer, the more I cried. My spirit was at war inside of me, because I knew that what he was offering was what I needed in my life. Nobody forced me to walk up front that night. There are choices we all have to make, and I am so grateful that the altar call was extended just a little longer that night. The foundation is what keeps the house square and level for the builder. But sometimes we make wrong choices or we use materials that are second grade. We may even have to knock down some walls that have taken years to build, and get back to the foundation and rebuild. As I’m working on the log home I’ve had to take the wall apart many times, and get back to a level foundation, and start over again. In the excitement that I got when I first started building I didn’t look closely enough at the blueprints, so I started having trouble with the overall construction. Sometimes we lose the emotional feeling we get from an altar call. We think that this is the highpoint when really it’s the starting point. We get to choose the material we build with, and how this house is going to look. Your foundation can start today. It’s what you build your life on today that matters. You can be a new and different person.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said concerning feelings and emotions.Too often we confuse them with a certain level of spirituality. We just have to remind ourselves that feelings, and our human experience in general,are ambiguous, unstable, and often contradictory. Consequently, we should not allow them to serve as the interpretive force of our spiritual life. Rather, our human experience itself should be interpreted within the framework of Scripture. First we must know God by studying what he has chosen to reveal about himself, and then we can experience him based on the truth we have learned. In the end, it is all about following the correct sequence of blueprints and building a solid foundation. Blog on!!

    ReplyDelete