Friday, July 2, 2010

Reflections


Second Entry

This has nothing to do with construction, or maybe it does. This morning I find myself in a thankful and melancholy, reflective state. Last night we celebrated our youngest son’s nineteenth birthday, with family. We celebrated by walking to the park, with his older brother, and our first grandson. There is something special about helping your grandson climb the ladder to the top of the slide, as your own children watch on. There is something more special as you watch your son and his son run down a grassy hill and play together. Later we celebrated with pizza. It’s good to hear the laughter and commotion. We are all so different, some more different than others. I am talking about myself-but we are still family. Later that evening, as I am holding my newest grandchild in my arms, I am singing to him the way my own mother sang to me, and then to her grandchildren, just as I sang to my children, and now my grandchildren. It’s been said many times that life goes by so quickly, but we don’t think it does till we are looking into the eyes of our grandchildren and singing songs that bring back memories. As a young father I never gave much thought to my actions, but now as I look back as a grandad, I am reminded in my own spirit the way I acted, the way I treated people, the way I lived life, as my own children watched me. It’s something we should never take lightly .The most important job you will ever have is the job of a father. Anyway, we are always constructing and building, and with God’s help, constructing good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment